Moray SNP News
For Richard Lochhead MSP the search is on for a Local Hero in Moray who makes a positive difference to the lives of others.
From today, Moray’s MSP can help ensure one of his constituents receives recognition for the important work they do to help others and their community by nominating them as a Local Hero.
On Saturday 2 July, all Local Heroes will come to Holyrood as part of the Scottish Parliament’s Opening Ceremony events to mark the start of a new parliamentary session.
The day will include:
- Her Majesty The Queen addressing MSPs in the Chamber.
- Local Heroes taking part in the ‘Riding’ procession down Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, along with around 2,000 other participants in a colourful, historic tradition. The Riding will feature people from all walks of public life and local community groups, plus music and entertainment.
- Holyrood’s ‘Big Day Out’ – a fun packed afternoon for all the family. With a programme that has something for everyone, the gardens and doors of the Parliament will be open to all to explore, observe and participate in a full programme of events including a mini-Highland games, Music and Dance, Science and Nature, Art activities for Kids and much more.
Launching the search Richard Lochhead MSP said:
“I know many people in Moray give their time and energy selflessly, to make a positive contribution to the lives of others - often without recognition.
“Together with my fellow MSPs, we want to celebrate the achievements of our Local Heroes across every constituency in Scotland and bring them to Holyrood on Saturday 2 July.”
Mr Lochhead continued:
“I am really looking forward to receiving nominations for our Local Hero in Moray, perhaps from their friends, family or work colleagues, maybe even from potential Local Heroes themselves. If you’ve got a good suggestion, please get in touch.
“As the Fifth Session of the Scottish Parliament gets underway, it is right that, the people of Scotland are placed at the heart of our events.”
Nominate a Local Hero
To nominate a Local Hero, contact:
Richard Lochhead MSP, 9 Wards Road, Elgin, IV30 1NL
Tel: 01343 551111
Nominations close on 15th June.
Local Heroes have taken part in the opening ceremonies of the Scottish Parliament in 2007 and 2011. Amongst 2011’s Local Heroes were people who had:
- raised funds and collected vital home comforts for troops in Afghanistan;
- run a nightly soup kitchen and offered free meals to homeless people, and
- volunteered selflessly at a local hospice.
Big Day Out
For more information on the free events for all the family at the Big Day Out, visit: www.visitparliament.scot/big-day-out
To request a free leaflet with details and timings of the Big Day Out events, and other events taking place at Holyrood throughout the year, visit www.visitparliament.scot/keep-up-to-date
To add the Big Day Out to your calendar, visit www.visitparliament.scot/event/save-the-date