www.SNP.org
Richard Lochhead

Moray SNP News

LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES COMMENT AFTER KINLOSS 'TASKFORCE' MEETING

24/08/2016  

SNP representatives in Moray have commented on the outcome of today’s [Tuesday’s] special meeting of the Moray Economic Partnership, which also involved additional cross-party representation, to deal with the threat of closure of Kinloss Barracks.

Moray MP Angus Robertson, Moray MSP Richard Lochhead and the leader of the SNP Opposition Group on The Moray Council, Councillor Gary Coull were all in attendance.

Speaking after the meeting Angus Robertson MP said:

“After it became apparent last week that the MoD has actively been considering the future of Kinloss Barracks it was very important that this threat was taken seriously. Today’s meeting of key organisations and representatives was productive and identified the actions that we must take immediately.

“It is good that we are co-operating as a community in this way to tackle the serious social and economic issues that the potential closure of Kinloss throws up. Time is of the essence with the strong possibility of an announcement on defence estate cuts in just a matter of weeks.”

Richard Lochhead MSP said:

"Today's meeting recognised that it is unacceptable for the UK Government to decide the future of the Kinloss Barracks without consulting the local community. The list of broken promises is growing.  Assurances were given at the time of the original announcement of the regiment being posted to Kinloss and now the MoD has broken a recent pledge to consult on the barracks' future.

"We need consultation and we need clarity on what options are being considered by the MoD."

Moray Council SNP Opposition Leader, Cllr Gary Coull, said:

“The SNP has led calls for a ‘Taskforce’ style meeting, similar to the one that met during the RAF Lossiemouth campaign and I am pleased that this has now happened. While a campaign to protect the role of Kinloss Barracks will be much shorter, a matter of weeks rather than months, the social and economic issues it raises are very similar to the Lossiemouth campaign.

“We were promised an army presence at Kinloss when its closure as an RAF base was announced only a few short years ago and in relation to the current review it transpires that a consultation was promised by the MoD. That consultation promise seems to be well and truly broken and it is vital that the promise of an army presence at Kinloss does not go the same way. Getting clarity from the MoD will be one of the main aims in the coming days and weeks.”

Share